pages

search the rooster

Thursday, February 16, 2017

are people from sudbury the newfies of ontario?

First and foremost, I use the term Newfie for people from Newfoundland, Canada with the the utmost respect. I have known several people from "The Rock" over the years. (Here is a fake news article about Dwayne Johnson challenging the use of the term. It is amusing.) They have all taken pride in the term and also used it in a self-deprecating manner, as Polaks like myself do with our moniker. 

Over the years, in the Ottawa Valley, I have encountered a great many people that have migrated from Newfoundland and settled here. Reasons often sited have to do with finding better work or staying after going to school here. They are a vibrant and colourful people. They are very hard workers who also enjoy a good time. At any party, you will find them lingering in the kitchen, which is appropriate as they are strongly identified with the kitchen party concept.

east coast trail, the rock (courtesy eric praetzel)

When the boy ended up in CHEO when he was eleven days old and required surgery, his surgeon was a Newf. Great fellow, very smart, very competent. However, most Newfies I know work in the Canadian federal government. It is most interesting, as they were the last province to join Confederation in 1949. (With the new territory of Nunavut, joining fifty years and a day later.)

So, I have seen a similar pattern with Sudburians. (They need a better nickname though.) When I attended The University of Ottawa, I met loads of Suburyites (?). Most were Francophone. Which is appropriate as Ottawa U (one of its non-nasty nicknames), is an official Franco-Ontarian university. Many of these Sudburgonians (?) came here for an education and stayed. Many Sudburtans (?) too work in the federal government. Many also work in high-tech. My friend Denis works in high-tech, while his the wife works for the feds; obviously I mention them as they began their journey on this planet in Sudbury.

mont adam, the big nickel (courtesy snapdragon)

As with Newfies, Sudburites (?) are very hard workers who also enjoy a good time, often ending up in the kitchen during gatherings. I have even seen Denis dance a very Atlantic / Maritime jig. (Man I wish I filmed it, it was really awesome.) Similarly, to the rocky isle of Newfoundland, Sudbury is a very rocky place, known for its mining and also a geological training ground for American astronauts.

So, why do Newfoundlanders and Sudburbians (?) end up in the Ottawa Valley? I have no idea, but they are everywhere in these parts. One of my former fellow Scouters is from The Rock, two of my current fellow Scouters are from Nickel City. 

Hang on a minute now! Another current fellow Scouter is from The Hammer, like me!! I have met an inordinate number of people in the Valley in the last few years from Hamilrock!!! (A nickname I came up with years ago as a(n) homage to Bedrock from the Flintstones, others are Hamilstone, and Hamilburg.)  

As with Newfies and Sudburbans (?), I too believe Hammerheads (I made that one up too, I do not think it will catch on though, at least not in a positive manner) are very hard workers who enjoy a good time. I myself, normally end up in the kitchen during gatherings. Not so many are working for the feds, but still. The Hammer too is quite a rocky place, straddling the Niagara Escarpment.

albion falls, hamilton "mountain", my old stomping grounds, literally (courtesy raisethehammer.org)

What is going on here?! Are Hamiltonians the Newfies of Southern Ontario??!! Or the Sudbuckers (?)???!!! Am I a Hamil-Newf-Sudbourbon????!!!! Jumping Jehoshaphat?????!!!!! 

Well, I guess everyone is more alike than anyone realised. It does not matter where you come from or where you end up, there you are. Enjoy the not-so-diverse company.

No comments:

Post a Comment