pages

search the rooster

Saturday, May 06, 2017

high tide and green grass

It has been wet all week and flood warnings have been issued. Not going to stop me hiking. Plus I wanted to try a new tracking app. No one wanted to come. So, another solo hike it was.

The parking lot was half flooded when I got to the trailhead. (It was three-quarters flooded when I got back.) I rolled up my pants. (Ha! Fat lot of good it did in the end. Still soaked.) Started my new tracking app on my new phone and off I went.

Well, whatever water repellency that may have survived in my boots from this week's wetness, totally forsook me with the first step in water I took. No worries. I am not a stranger to hiking or marching with wet feet.

Other than a half dozen timid ducks, a pissed off fisher swimming in the pond, and a bunch of various birds, I was all alone. Except for a feeling I was being followed by something, not someone. Yet, I never saw anything and heard little. Oh well. Once again, it was glorious. It was also wet. Very wet. Very, very wet. I think I caught a glimpse of a boat with a bunch of paired-up animals on it.

I took my time today. Stopped in a few places, checked things out. The last k-and-a-half was mostly submerged. Even the bypasses I fixed up with the boy and Denis, were wet. Not as wet as the main trail, but there were several washouts.

I had a blast. I love this stuff. I would not want to be out in it for a month, but it is not unenjoyable.

I got back to the truck and checked the app. Apparently, I walked an extra 600-700 metres today with trying to get around the worst of the water and mud. Good stuff.

So, after one use, I am not unhappy with my new tracking app. I am still learning it and it will be probably at least a week until I decide whether I like it or not for sure. I downloaded this particular one because reviews stated that when Google dumped My Tracks that they jumped to this one and were very happy with it.

The app? Map My Tracks by Tinderhouse. Now, I am not endorsing it yet and no I am not being remunerated for my positive comments after just one use. If I do not like it, I will say so. However, if you want to check out my hikes, from today forward, my profile is "sparkyca". You will see that my profile "photo" is the same as that for my Google+ profile. Chime in and let me know if you can see anything at: mapmytracks.com. A word of caution though, their website is a tad slow, at least from my computing device.

Once I learn how it works better, I will map out the trail better and put in, what I think are, useful waypoints. Then I will figure out how to upload it to Google Maps or the like. Especially as the trail is not mapped properly anywhere I can find online.

Anyway, my boots are drying. My jacket is drying. I am drying. Time to celebrate with a steak and a cocktail. And keep an eye out for that wacky boat with all the animals on it.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment