pages

search the rooster

Thursday, May 18, 2017

new restaurant - mexico casita cafe, richmond ontario

I am probably shooting myself in the foot promoting a restaurant. In that it may get so popular that I will never be able to get in again, but a great eatery should be be known, far and wide.

The wife learnt about a new Mexican restaurant that opened up a few months ago in Richmond, Ontario. The restaurant is Mexico Casita Cafe. We went this past Sunday for a Mothers' Day dinner. We had chips and pico de gallo to start and I also had the tortilla soup. Fantastic. Then for our mains, the boy had pulled steak burritos, the wife had chicken enchiladas. Me, pulled pork ranchero. All, to die for. The boy had a Jarritos soda and Mexican hot chocolate to drink. The wife some wine and me a couple of Mexican beers (Modelo and Tecate).


When we went to pay, we saw the soda fridge and saw various sodas from Mexico. The boy is a fan of Fanta and we added an orange Fanta to take home. When we got the bill, I thought there was a mistake. I thought we were actually undercharged. The total bill, with all applicable taxes, was sixty bucks! No mistake though, I asked. That was the total. To me, that is super cheap. I left a hefty tip and still thought it was a steal.

Today, we went again. The boy had archery lessons with a friend in Richmond and as he has the day off tomorrow and his buddy is staying over tonight, we went there again for dinner. Well, Sunday was not a fluke. Again, the food was over the top for taste and portion. This time we had chips and guacamole to start. For mains, the boy had pulled steak tacos (three of them, Thursday is taco night, so they are reduced), his buddy had pulled pork enchiladas (which he could not finish, it was such big a portion), the wife had the pulled steak ranchero, and I had chorizo tacos dorados. I initially thought they were kind of small; boy, was I wrong. The young lads had Jarritos sodas and the boy also had his Mexican hot chocolate again (by the way, the boy actually dislikes hot chocolate, so that pretty much says how awesome it is). The wife and I each had a Mexican Coke (no HFCS, but real cane sugar). How much? Sixty-eight bones all in. Another whopping tip and still super cheap in my opinion.

Most main courses come with a side of chips, rice, refried beans (that are super awesome, I know because the wife loves them and she hates refried beans) and/or a little salad. Needless to say, both times we have now eaten there, we had no room for desert. Next time, I will have a churro regardless.

All the staff are friendly. The service is great. Lovely, understated appointments throughout the restaurant. There are three El Yucateco hot sauces on every table, but you do not need them. Not that the food is spicy, but it has so much flavour. Normally, I use a lot of hot sauce and so does the boy. We both did not reach for them. We did try them this time by splashing some on the tortilla chips and I did put a bit on the boy's buddy's rice that I cadged from him, but that was it.

the hot sauces and a jarritos soda

One thing that is a must. They have three little bowls of salsas that you can get with your meal. One is just jalapeño peppers (of which, the boy drinks the juice once they are all eaten, his expression is awesome). The other two, one is brown and smoky, the other green and tangy (the wife says it is lemony or limy). The brown and green salsa are not so much spicy as full of flavour. If you go, you will want to try them.

the salsas, done!

I am not sure when we are going again, but I bet it will be pretty soon. We are trying to convince various friends to go to dinner with us there. I cannot wait. M'mm m'mm. blbbl

you 'gotta' try this place

No comments:

Post a Comment