pages

search the rooster

Monday, August 14, 2017

cooking - guest room 184 salad

I do not know the salad's real name, but the wife had it out in Ucluelet, British Columbia while the boy and I were at the Canadian National Scout Jamboree in Nova Scotia. She wanted me to try to recreate it.

She had the salad at a bed and breakfast there that is owned by a friend of ours. The B&B is called: Guest Room 184. Hence, my name for the salad. I think I will shorten it to Salad 184 though.

Anyway, this salad is pretty simple, tasty, healthy, etc.



GUEST ROOM 184 SALAD (aka SALAD 184)

3-4 avocados, cut in to chunks
1 can chickpeas (drained & rinsed)
3-4 green onions (chopped)
1 bunch cilantro
feta (about a 2-3 inch cube), cut in to chunks
juice of 1 fresh lime (I used lemon as I had more of that)
salt & pepper to taste
cayenne, if you like


I may cut up some jalapeño or cherry bombs in to the salad next time. I think it would go very well with the salad. You can of course scale this recipe up. You can also scale any individual ingredient up or down for preference. If you are on a budget, add another can of chickpeas. I would possibly double the green onion or add some vidalia onion chunks. You can leave the feta out as well I imagine. I would only use a quality feta anyway. Cheap feta tastes, well cheap and crappy. There is a lot of room to experiment.

So, well, I have made the salad, I quite like it. The wife has found it acceptable. Now, the wife's cousin from Belfast, Northern Ireland is coming tonight to visit for a few days. We will see if it passes with her approval.

Thanks Denise of Guest Room 184 for this great, yet simple, recipe. I hope there is still some left when the cousin arrives. Mmmm, tasty! blbbl

No comments:

Post a Comment