pages

search the rooster

Saturday, September 23, 2017

where did all the birds go?

So, I have noticed that the birds have been becoming less frequently over that last couple of weeks. Very surprising, as there is lots for them to feast on. I know birds come and go based on many various factors , including food sources and shelter. I expect someone is putting out some really good stuff for them to eat. Not that what we put out here at Casa Rooster is crap.

It has been unseasonably warm in the last week too, which may be keeping them in more shaded areas. Today, it hit at least 30℃ (86℉), with a humidex hitting 39/40 ℃ (102/104℉), with much the same for tomorrow. I put out some shallow containers with water today so the birds, and whatever other critters, can get some relief. Although, there are several creeks and streams very close by. Even the squirrels have lightened up on their assaults of the bird feeders. There was one new guy today, I am pretty certain he will not be inducted in to the Expanding Legion of Evil (ELoE).

He was on the black oil sunflower seed feeder this morning. I came out and he froze. You see, they do not have much of an egress in how I set it up. Basically, they have to jump off and run for it. This guy, after he gained some composure, looked up and realised that there was no way he could run up the bare copper wire that the feeder was hanging from. He jumped down, then he bolted. Then he came back towards me, then he bolted. Then he came back towards me, then he bolted. I almost felt sorry for him. Then he ran towards me and actually bolted away far enough that I did not consider him a threat. I went inside, then I looked out the back door. He immediately came back and was sitting on a chunk of ornamental wood, looking in to the house right at me. I opened the door and eventually he bolted away and only came back once, but bolted again and away. What a maroon!

Anyway, back to the birds. I have seen little of the blue jays, cardinals, various woodpecker type birds. The American goldfinches have not been around for at least five days. The white breasted nuthatches, black capped chickadees, mourning doves, and various sparrows are still coming around, but less so. In fact, a downy woodpecker or two in the last two days have been making regular appearances again. I think the downies are back because I have just started putting out suet again. they love that stuff.

Like the squirrels, the chipmunks have been much less frequent. There are at least six or eight of them, I have only seen one or two. I can find no carcasses left by the neighbourhood cats and other predators, nor roadkill. I did find a mangled mouse, but that is the only confirmed casualty.

So, in addition to the abnormal heat, I think something else is going on. One factor, other than a probable multitude of food sources nearby, natural and human provided, is obviously their preparations for winter. To me, that seems to indicate we are going to have some nasty, cold weather sent down by Jack Frost. There have even been a multitude of flyovers of geese in the last week to ten days.

However, I do believe something else is at play. Something that apparently is not supposed to be so. However, my observations over the years speak to the contrary. I have written about it previously, but I will re-expound on it now.

The birds hanging around the place are not considered migratory birds. However, we are at the northern range of these birds for one. There are also heavily wooded areas nearby that would provide better cover than much of what is in my immediate area. I do know that some birds hang at the back cedar hedge, which is ten feet or more tall and at four feet or more deep. Not a bad hidey-hole for some wildlife, not to mention the trees running along the closest creek and the small clusters of trees between myself and my neighbours. However, none of that is near as dense as the forested areas nearby.

I think many of these birds are already organising winter residences. Some, probably not so far away in denser patches and even out towards the Marlborough Forest, where I have seen quite large parties of blue jays nearby in winter and on the fringes of both sides of that chilly season, but never in the summer. However, I think more are moving serious distances to where the weather may be milder for them and the habitat even more protective than out here amongst large stretches of farm fields.

For them to want to stay around longer or even through the winter, now that there are more food sources, such as I provide, could take years for them to adapt to, if ever. Plus, I need to keep the food sources running non-stop. I am going to look in to what indigenous plants I can place in my back property that can provide additional food sources and maybe shelter. Certainly, none have ever taken up residence in the birdhouses I have setup, just some big-ass spiders.

Now, I am not an ornithologist, nor do I play one on television, but my anecdotal observations do not lead me to any other conclusion. Non-migratory birds do migrate. Of course, not to Mexico or South America from the Ottawa Valley, but far enough away that they largely vanish during the cold, dark winter. If I am wrong, convince me. blbbl

No comments:

Post a Comment